Monday, April 25, 2011

Anybody remember Bombo and Tooktoo?

.
This posting is a bit random, but it has been bugging me for a while so let me just ask you guys. I admit this requires you to stretch your memory way, way back to the years of your early Primary school. In fact my own memory is kind of vague on the details. It relates to one of the very first Geography books we were asked to read either in Primary 1 or Primary 2 at St Joseph's in the years between 1965-69.

What I do remember was that one chapter introduced us to an African boy named BOMBO, and told us about how he lived in his village near the Congo in the African continent. This has shades of "Roots", but of course it was years before Alex Haley wrote his bestseller which later became a popular TV series. Heck, this was way before TV came to Sarawak.

I believe the second chapter told us about TOOKTOO, an Eskimo boy who lived in Baffin Island. I remember there were some black and white pictures of igloos and seals.

Further into the book were tales of life in the Andes mountains. I don't remember the character, but I know he was an Indian lad who lived in the mountains. That was also when I first came across the animal known as a llama.

I've obviously been Googling for this information, but have so far not come up with anything relevant, though I'm still trying ...

Let me pause here, and see if what I've shared so far rings any bells with any of you ... In fact if any of you are still in possession of the book, I'd love to see a photo of it. By now, it might have some antique value.


ADDED LATER

Someone pointed me to this photo on the Internet. This apparently is the book in question ...


21 comments:

  1. walau, that was a long time ago! i don't even remember what i had for dinner y'day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The haze of distant memory are slowly parting. yes, i vaguely remember the boy Bombo from the Congo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From A.B.Archer & H.G.Thomas' "First Series Geography" books (1 to 4), first published by Gin in 1936. Quite a popular series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. catch no ball ????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dunno about the names of the boys. I did remember a big (not thick) hard cover geography book. Yes there were something about Africa, etc... Remember looking at black & white pictures then. Don't think I still have it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was also Pedro, the S. American Indian by

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was one about the little Indian girl???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do recall the "Bombo" - that was the well-known local football Team "Bombo United" captained by our St. Joe Class of '75 and school captain, Abang Abdul Rahman.
    Bombo...Tookto ????? sounds like French to me...oh my...Geography was never my favourite subject. I only knew how to draw the map of India (Like a Triangle) and Italy (like one side of a pair of boots )...the igloo would have already melted by the time I remember Tookto...wish I could be of more help. But history....not a problem...just throw the question ! Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmm, looks like not many people remember this book. Maybe I should start calling on my specific classmates from those very early years ... Gerard, Tie Fen, Philip, George, Yu Neng etc ... and checking if they remember... ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vaguely remember this book although I don't know where it's leading us... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @PC - only checking that you don't yet have dementia, lah :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do remember, WJ. In particular, I remember Tooktoo the Eskimo boy from Baffin Island who lived in an igloo. In Greenland, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Georgie boy ... definitely no dementia yet. Now what did you have for dinner last night? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. i dunno BOMBO but i know some BIMBOs! ROTFLMAO

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found out where Baffin Island is. Part of Canada. You learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read it too. Bombo, Tooktoo, Pedro, Ahmed, etc. It is the Archer Thomas book if i'm not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ANYBODY STILL HAVE THE BOOK? WJ IS BIDDING HIGH FOR IT. HA HA HA!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG I remember this book! Heck I studied this in grade 4 n now I'm in uni! This was n remains to be my most favorite book ever. I was so glad to find this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used this book in grade school in Uganda, East Africa in the sixties and it is my favourite geography text to date! I still recall wanting to go to Greenland after reading this book. Wouldn't it be lovely to see the book again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes I remember the book and am glad for the person who posted its cover. I searched because I'm visiting family in Rwanda and suddenly remembered those childhood stories of Bombo and others in far away lands (I was at school in England). I remember the llamas too - we had one boy who called them laalambs, much to our amusement.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember this book (same cover!) I remember Bombo too. This was early 1950's for me. Thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete