Monday, November 22, 2010

The Rubik Cube

.
How many of you were caught up in the Rubik Cube craze in the 70s ?

For the benefit of any who have been living in a cave for the past 3 decades, the Rubik's Cube is a 3D mechanical puzzle invented in 1974 by Hungarian sculptor and professor of architecture ErnÅ‘ Rubik. Originally called the "Magic Cube", the puzzle was licensed by Rubik to be sold by Ideal Toys in 1980[ and won the German Game of the Year special award for Best Puzzle that year. As of January 2009, 350 million cubes have sold worldwide making it the world's top-selling puzzle game.] It is widely considered to be the world's best-selling toy.




Of course, over the years following this introduction of this puzzle, there were many variants released by others, e.g. 5x5x5 cubes, ball-shaped, numbered squares rather than colours, etc. However, I suspect the original Rubik Cube is still the most popular.


I admit I've had a go at this puzzle, but have never gotten very far. Solved it once or twice, with a lot of coaching (usually by young kids :-) ... but I wouldn't in my wildest dreams claim that I've mastered it.


Share your experiences with the Rubik Cube or any other puzzles you were familiar with ...
.

9 comments:

  1. Piece of cake !!!! ROTFLMAO

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya, i also never learnt how to solve this puzzle. anyone want to give an online tutorial? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. At one time got so frustrated I can't solve it so I took it apart.....and assemble it back...piece by piece......so easy..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was never into Rubik Cube. But I liked jigsaw puzzles one time as a kid. And nowaday I like Sudoku.

    ReplyDelete
  5. alamak, this is the most frustrating puzzle I ever played. still cannot do. my 2D brain cannot handle the 3D cube lah.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. never gotten far. in fact never ever solved it.
    and now my daughter at 17 years is showing me how. she does it in less than 5 minutes. i suspect from the tips she obtained from the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try this

    http://www.howtodothings.com/hobbies/how-to-solve-a-rubiks-cube

    ReplyDelete
  8. i tried lo, Puzzler ... but still tak boleh .. how?

    ReplyDelete
  9. DAMN SILLY $%#^!*#&^@*#^%#%$@ PUZZLE !!!
    ok ok i dunno how to solve it ...

    ReplyDelete