Monday, November 1, 2010

In Search of Ka Chang Ma

.
Many Chinese from Sarawak would have tasted or at least heard of the dish called "Ka Chang Ma". Those living overseas tend not to have. 






Ka Chang Ma is a Hakka dish, which is usually prepared with chicken. Very tasty, although I must warn those who have never tried it before that it includes a healthy dose of rice wine (traditionally Tuak). In the old days, this dish was traditionally prepared for women who have just given birth (i.e. during the so-called "confinement period"), as the herbs were supposed to have nutritional properties. Another school of thought seems to suggest that Ka Chang Ma has properties that make it a good aphrodisiac for the men. Hmmm ... benefits that support both sides of the procreation process. Anyway whatever the benefit, it's a delicious dish (if you like wine).


If you want the recipe, check out this website that I came across.  Obviously I can't vouch for the quality of this particular chef's concoction, but I don't think it will stray very far from the original provided the herbs are of good quality.


I believe that Ka Chang Ma originated in Sarawak, although I have no empirical evidence to support that. It's just that I've never seen it being served anywhere else, except perhaps by Sarawakians living abroad. I did a quick Google search and found that the herb that goes into Ka Chang Ma is known as 益母草 (Motherwort).


When living overseas, many Sarawakians complain of missing Ka Chang Ma, and the difficulty in finding the herbs. I think some have even tried to plant it themselves overseas, with mixed results. Others stockpile bottles of the herbs brought over by relatives from home.


Well  guys and gals, share your experiences with or questions regarding this dish, and I'm sure we have many experts out there who will be able to enlighten all of us. Yum, all this talk of Ka Chang Ma is making me hungry ...
.

28 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmm .... Delicious indeed !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kachangmah is supposed to be blood cleansing rather than 'nutritious'. Chinese belief is that it cleanses the afterbirth and the blood of the new mother. That's what I heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told you we had experts. Thanks Georgie boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where in Kuching can one get the best Ka Chang Ma ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. my mum's kitchen. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. you should show a picture of the herbs, WJ. look like marijuana, no?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe it is! That could explain why all the new mums love it so much. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Student in ScienceNovember 1, 2010 at 7:01 PM

    Kachangma is Yimucao (益母草) in Mandarin. Its scientific name is Leonurus sibiricus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ka Chang Ma belongs to the mint family. It is thought to have originated from China and brought to Sarawak by the Hakka. Today it is consumed by other races too. Aiya! Who can resist all that wine?

    Ka Chang Ma’s unique flavour and aroma is known for its special medicinal properties. It is effective in improving blood circulation, cardiovascular system, and inducing diuresis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes..Ka Chang Ma originated from the Hakka clan , I love the taste very much especially with Chinese white wine.
    Another Hakka dish is the Lui Cha which is also taken to cleanse the body system.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHAT ABOUT IT BEING A MALE APHRODISIAC ??? HEY, LET'S GO FOR A KA CHANG MA PARTY, BOYS !!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. What about KL? Where are the best KaChangMa outlets?

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mum cooked the best Ka Chang Ma (So says most of you, I am sure). However I must admit that I do not like it when I was younger (early teens or younger) as it was too bitter for me at the time. Then since grown into adulthood and sampled the taste of alcohol and other "sins", my taste bud had changed (not sure if it is for the better in some cases!!!) and in this case have really like this dish. Excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmmm... love kacang ma.

    My first Lui Cha experience was with Bob Chew. Like it very much and had taken the dish several more times... perhaps the lightning in it as was told by Bob?

    According to Bob, it was once the food of the emperor? Betul kah? Any comments?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Food for emperors? Must have been lah. Those Chinese emperors had harems to service. ROTFLMAO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, hakka dish it is, nowadays even the dayak ladies are cooking it and they are using 'tuak' instead of chinese white wine, tastes sweet.

    Some use brandy to cook the dish.

    What if I cook it using brandy, with the 'kachangma' herbs and 'tongkat ali' herbs?
    Would we be like 21yrs old or 31yrs old kicking around like wild horses after 'makan' my 'kachangma'?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anybody's wife going to give birth soon? I can cook 'ka chang ma' for her.

    And of course it goes with red eggs.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. we're having ka chang ma this weekend. YAY !!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. where is best Ka Chang Ma in Kuching restaurant or cafes?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Errrrr ... have run out of Ka Chang Ma herbs. If any kind brother should be heading out from Kuching to Singapore, could he get me a small bottle if not inconvenient? I'll pay for it when I see him. Terima kasih.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mr James Yong, you will have your KCM herbs Saturday. What do I get in return? :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. @KCM, how about some nice dim sum for lunch or tea? You can also tell me all about the Election shenannigans!

    ReplyDelete
  23. sound like a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks KCM for getting me the Ka Chang Ma.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How about getting Mrs WJ to cook some for us soon? :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. where can i buy kachang ma in kl?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can our KL foodies help Jolene here?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I wouldn't say it's only in Sarawak, maybe it's the only place that sell it, but doesn't mean it's originally from there. I'm an Indonesian hakka and everyone in the town (which are hakka as well) known this dish from generation. And most household know how to cook this..

    ReplyDelete