Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Classic Movie Memory - GREASE

.
For me GREASE was more than just a movie. It was a significant life event, a phenomenon ... and till today I can vividly remember when and where I watched it. Actually I wasn't even keen to see the movie. I was in my late teens, studying in London and with a bunch of friends. I only agreed to go but reluctantly as I wasn't a fan of James Dean and having scanned the movie posters, I thought that another movie on that era couldn't be very interesting. And set to music? Box office disaster for sure I thought. Boy, was I wrong !

Anyway here are a couple of my favourite scenes from the movie. Turn up the volume on your PC and enjoy.




Automotive enthusiasts among us should like this next one ...





And I urge you to bring your stovepipe pants or tight jeans out of the storeroom and try dancing to this one ...




Yeah, GREASE was a cultural event. I still have the Grease soundtrack on LP, though I haven't figured out how and when I'll be able to play it. I also have the DVD of course.

Finally look at them two decades later ... this came from the reunion party for the cast of GREASE.




Aaaaahhhhh .... N-O-S-T-A-L-G-I-A time ....
.

14 comments:

  1. Olivia Neutron-Bomb fanMarch 30, 2011 at 5:55 PM

    one of my favourite musicals too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're the one that I want, ooh ooh ooh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmmmmm
    I remember that for sure.....
    Also John Travolta's Saturday Night Fever.....
    Disco Fevers...., World Disco Championship....Chicken Dance.....in London Empire Ballroom....
    etc etc....
    Sweet and Romantic Memories....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr Sia should be dancing to "Greased Lightning", yes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good memories, took my girlfriend to watch it when it was on general release in cinemas. that was in 1978!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wonder if some Canadian resident can still do the chicken dance. And if so, might the individual post a video demonstrating this on the blog. ROTFLMAO

    ReplyDelete
  8. will probably be dancing to "Saturday Nite Fever'

    ReplyDelete
  9. And he used to have the whitish suit to go with his disco exploits too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another One Who KnowsApril 4, 2011 at 11:46 PM

    Ahhhhh ya ya ya, the Fat One could do the Chicken Dance very well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i also like Olivia singing "Hopelessly Devoted to You". Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Olivia was my favourite lady singer too. I liked her "Have You Ever Been Mellow?", "On the Banks of the Ohio" and the hotter number "Let's Get Physical". Wooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even GREASE stars age and have medical problems. A sad piece of news here ...

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1391261/Jeff-Conaways-ex-girlfriend-blocks-family-turning-life-support-machine.html

    Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another subsequent link. Sad ...

    http://omg.yahoo.com/news/grease-star-jeff-conaway-dead-at-60-travolta-calls-co-star-wonderful/63923

    ReplyDelete