Wednesday, October 27, 2010

End of Road for the Sony Walkman

.
This innovation started during the 70s and I think many of us grew up using cassette tapes ... So I reckoned some would feel a tinge of sadness at the discontinuation of this device.


The Sony Walkman, 1979 to 2010
Associated Press / October 26, 2010


NEW YORK — The Walkman, the Sony cassette device that forever changed music listening before becoming outdated by digital MP3 players and iPods, has died. It was 31 years old.


Sony has ceased production of the classic Walkman in Japan, the company said yesterday.


The Walkman is survived by the Discman (clinging to life) and by listeners who think a Walkman is charmingly out of touch.


It will continue to be produced in China and distributed in the United States, Europe, and some Asian countries. Digital Walkmans are also being made, with models that display lyrics and have improved noise-canceling technology.


Some 220 million Walkmans have been sold since 1979.

It was developed under the stewardship of Sony founders Akio Morita and Masaru Ibuka. Morita insisted the device not be focused on recording but on playback, an odd notion then.



Share your memories of early life with the humble cassette tape recorder.
.

8 comments:

  1. The Sony Walkman was an innovative device that even the consumers never realised they wanted. I remember reading a case study about its development in business school. End of an era indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. way before the iPod

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated it when we accidentally left our favourite cassettes on the back seat of the car on a scorching hot day. Habisssssss ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Akio Morita was a man with vision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I remember my old Walkman. In fact I think still there in my storeroom. You think if I keep for a few more years, I can sell as valuable antique?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LP's ... cassettes ... DAT's ... CD's ... MP3 ... What's next ?????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya Tim. I know what you mean. Gooey cassette tape. Yucks !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MBA Student @ 10.09am probably did a case study on sony for his MBA.

    ReplyDelete