Tuesday, May 29, 2012

From Russia With Love

Those who are my Facebook friends would already know about my recent trip, but I thought I'd just post a few sample photos of my most interesting four days in Moscow. I was there to participate in a conference, but I managed to make time to take in some of the sights.

Let me start with the structure that most people would associate with Moscow - St Basil's Cathedral in the Red Square ... or as some would call it "that church with those crazy coloured domes" ...


Fig 1: Comrade Yong in the Red Square


Next is a view of the Kremlin, which is where the President works and presumably lives. You see only one wall of the Kremlin, this one bordering the Red Square. On the left side of the picture, you can also see Stalin's Mausoleum.


Fig 2: One side of the Kremlin


This rather grand building, and six other skyscrapers like it, were commissioned by Stalin,and have been referred by others as "Stalin's Seven Sisters". Built between 1947 and 1953 in an elaborate combination of Russian Baroque and Gothic styles, they are pretty impressive - even today. The one you see below was once the Hotel Ukraina, now the Radisson Royal Hotel..


Fig 3a: One of Stalin's Seven Sisters (Radisson Royal Hotel now)


Here's another of the Seven Sisters.


Fig 3b: Another of the Seven Sisters


The next building I'd  like to share is the Bolshoi Theatre. I regret I did not get a chance to attend a Bolshoi ballet performance, but I did get to visit it one evening, and took some nice photos.


Fig 4: The Bolshoi Theatre, home of the world-famous ballet company


I also went to Arbat Street, one of the popular shopping areas of Moscow, and found it alive with street arts and music and culture ...


Fig 5: Arts and Music and Culture on the Street


There are so many things to see in Moscow, but I hope the few photos above whet your appetite and make you consider making a trip yourself. Although transcending the language barrier was sometimes a challenge, I found most Russians were generally very friendly.


Fig 6: Welcome to Moscow

12 comments:

  1. Did you learn any Russian words? Like "You're very pretty" or "Can I buy you a Vodka?". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Добро пожаловать в Россию!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anon - No, I only learnt four Russian word: da (yes), nyet (no), spa si ba (thank you) and dasvidanya (goodbye) ... for everything else, sign language worked fine. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are you saying Lenin?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, zis Leonid must be ze capitalist proletariat who doez not know how to uze use Google Tranzlate. I vas just zaying "Velcome to Russia"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome everybody ... Come come come to marvelous Moscow ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Moscow! Exotic location.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the title "From Russia With Love" and I remember the James Bond movie of the 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joe78, pls identify yourself... a group of us just got together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got any famous movie filmed in Moscow or not?

    ReplyDelete
  11. WJ, where are the Russian chicks photos? No take meh?

    ReplyDelete