Friday, August 5, 2011

Message in a Bottle

While driving to work this morning, I heard the radio DJ relate a recent "message in a bottle" story. Apparently about a year ago, off the coast of Oregon, a ten-year-old boy tossed a message in a bottle into the Pacific Ocean. Weeks ago, a 9-year-old girl in Hawaii found it.

The boy Thomas Craig never expected his bottle to arrive safely in anyone's hands. In an interview with West Hawaii Today newspaper, he said "I couldn't believe someone had found it. I was shocked. When I threw it overboard, it hit the top of my grandpa's boat so I thought it broke and sank. The chances of someone finding it seemed like a once-in-a-million type thing."
In Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, little Trinity Ballesteros  saw the bottle washed up on the beach. The note inside read: "Dear finder of my message, my name is Thomas and I live in Oregon. I'm ten years old and this week I'm salmon fishing deep in the ocean. I would like to hear from you."
Trinity responded (via email) to Thomas, who had included his mom's email address. Since then, the two plan to become pen pals - of the digital variety. 
Awwwwww ... how sweet.
I'm sure that when Hollywood makes this into a movie, the story would have these two kids grow up, fall in love, fight various challenges to their union and eventually live happily ever after. 
In this age of email and Facebook and Twitter, something as primitive as a message-in-a-bottle holds a certain fascination for me. What are the chances that a bottle randomly tossed into the sea would actually be found by someone at all? 
My question to YOU today is this. If you were to send a message inside a bottle, what would you write on that piece of paper?

18 comments:

  1. when would someone really use a message in bottle to communicate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MAYBE WHEN YOU ARE MAROONED ON AN ISLAND

    ReplyDelete
  3. Male, 40, good looking, holding decent job, looking for Female, 30 and below, good looking, sense of humour, for friendship and possible long-term relationship. If interested, send back message in bottle. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 x Hawaiian (extra cheese)
    1 x Super Supreme
    6 chicken drumlets
    1 bottle Cola
    And make it fast, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, not for you. Please return to sender

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you were stranded on a deserted island, who would you want with you? Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha ... this is a loaded question ... for a guy

    ReplyDelete
  8. my choice will follow Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs - Food, Clothing, Shelter, Sex

    ReplyDelete
  9. God - he knows what I need

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Anonymous Aug 9 11:19PM - so you need someone who can cook, someone who can sew, someone who can build a hut and someone who ....

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO MANY MESSAGES IN BOTTLES. NO WONDER OUR OCEANS AND SEAS ARE POLLUTED !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aiyo ... got email, sms already! Who need message in bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What if the Internet and phone networks go down?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would write:
    Let's all make the world a better place to live in, for now and the future, for our children and their children's children.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I prefer SMOKE SIGNALS. Ha ha ha !

    ReplyDelete
  16. They should have asked the Miss Universe 2011 contestants this question of what message to put in bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Take a look at this article and videoclip

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14859116

    related to this subject.

    ReplyDelete